Meal prepping is a great way to stay on track with your fitness goals. Pre-portioning meals ahead of time helps to ensure you have healthy options readily available. This will help minimize any chance of giving in to that free pizza at work or the left over Chinese sitting in your fridge your parents or roommates ordered. Taking the time to meal prep is the hardest part. I find that designating a few hours on a Sunday night is the easiest way to ensure it gets done and then you’re all set for the week ahead. Work around your schedule to see what fits best with your lifestyle!
One of my favorite and easy meal prep recipes is Egg Muffins. They are great for breakfast or lunch and can be spiced up many different ways to keep your taste buds happy. My mom and I like to make a whole tray full on Sunday to have as a quick grab breakfast that I can bring with me in the car on my commute or pack for a lunch later on. I had two egg muffins with spinach, mushroom, onion and sprinkled mozzarella cheese for lunch today, but if you were my friend on My Fitness Pal, you would already know that!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat muffin tray with cooking spray
- Pour in 1/3 cup of Egg Beaters/Egg Whites
- Toss in chopped onion, jalapenos and tomato (interchangeable with your favorite veggies, see below for more combination ideas)
- Sprinkle with a little Feta Cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Bake 20-15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
Refrigerate after baking and just pop in the microwave for a minute to heat up when ready to eat.
Other Flavor Ideas:
- The Burger Muffin: egg whites, Sriracha Sauce, mushroom, turkey bacon with cheddar cheese
- The Pizza Muffin: egg whites, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, basil
- The Bagel Muffin: egg whites, smoked salmon, goat cheese and capers
- The Spicy Lover Muffin: egg whites, hot sauce, jalapeno, turkey bacon and sharp jack cheese
- The Sweet Muffin: egg whites mixed with steel cut oats, banana and peanut butter
- The Green Muffin: egg whites, spinach, onion, mushroom and small piece of muenster cheese