The top knot bun is a quick and easy hair style for any occasion. And the best part is, this look works best with unwashed hair. So say hello to your new solution to making the most of the last day of your blow out and your new go to look post gym sesh. It’s a great look to dress up for a fancy event or to wear casually with your favorite boyfriend jeans.
Diamond studs and ruby lips will keep this look classic or spice it up with a bolder post earring (think color and rhinestones) and a more neutral lip. Be careful not to overdo it. It’s almost too easy to get excited about your makeup when your face is fully exposed. But balancing your makeup and accessories is important when pulling your hair off of your face. A little bit goes a long way and it’s best to let your natural features speak for themselves. I know the game “Pretty, Pretty Princess” was probably your favorite as a little girl too, but in the real world that much accessorizing should be illegal. I usually accessorize with only stud earrings when rocking a bad ass bun and keep my makeup to the basics by keeping my eyes and lips as my focus.
How To Top Knot:
- Tie back your hair and center at the crown of your head. Secure with a fairly tight hair tie.
- Clean away any fly-aways with hair spray and a flat nylon bristle-brush. Spray lightly on top of your head and a little heavier at the sides and then comb the stray hairs away from your face. It’s important to avoid making your hair too slicked back. Having a few bumps adds texture and volume to your look which helps keep it natural and effortless.
- Take another hair elastic and pull your pony tail half way through and secure the rest of the elastic by wrapping it around the looped hair one time.
- Take the hair tips that stick out at the top and wrap them around the looped hair. Pin these pieces in to the bun to create a rounder shape and use pins to secure the looped hair down to your head.
- Feel free to pull the looped hair from the base of the pony tail to increase the size of the bun. This will add volume and by using pins you can shape it out as you see fit.